Merritt Street Carhouse - 2007
The Merritt Street Carhouse was the facility serving standard gauge (4' 8 1/2") streetcars on the Columbus system. It serviced cars for the Summit - Steelton line. It was located at Fourth and Merritt Streets on Columbus' south side.
Starting in February 1922, when the CD&M's Worthington by pass took the CD&M interurban cars off High Street between Worthington and Arcadia Avenue, some of the standard gauge cars from the Merritt Street Carhouse would continue all the way to Worthington.
180dpi jpg (72K) merritt-1
This photo was taken from the south end of Fourth Street looking southeast. Merritt Street runs along the side of the building. There was a yard that held about 50 streetcars to the right on the south side of Merritt Street. This building was more a shop then true carhouse. Inside was a machine shop, paint shop and general repair area. While a streetcar could be taken to Kelton Avenue, with the use of special shop trucks, it must have been easier to do most standard gauge car repairs right at Merritt Street.
180dpi jpg (220K) merritt-3
This photo shows the bricked up windows.
180dpi jpg(242K) merritt-4
In its streetcar days the upper area now covered with corrugated metal had a row of windows.
180dpi jpg (141K) merritt-2
The rear of the Merritt Street shop building. The truck dock was added after the streetcar days.