Worthington

Worthington - WT
Interlocking, Interlocking Station, Block Station
Network Diagram - PRR-2 - Big Four

Worthington tower in the 1950's. A suggestion of paint is still showing with a faded "Worthington" sign. Photo by Ryan Hoover

        Worthington tower was located at the crossing of the Big Four (NYC) and PRR (Sandusky Branch) just south of SR 161 on the east edge of Worthington. It was 9.8 miles from Columbus Union Station. On the PRR the first operator to the south was located at Fields Ave which was the entrance to Grogan Yard. On the Big Four the operator to the south was located in the NYC yard office.

        It had an armstrong manual lever plant. In addition to controlling the PRR/Big Four crossing, it also controlled crossovers, on the double track Pennsy and a passing siding on the single track Big Four. The north end of the passing siding was electronically controlled as were the Big Four signals. The Pennsy semaphore signals were manually controlled with the armstrong levers. When the N&W purchased the Sandusky Branch in 1964 the semaphore signals were replace with standard N&W signals and the jointed rail with welded rail through Worthington.

        Pete White of Delaware, Ohio, was the last operator at Worthington when the switch controls were automated and the tower closed. He reported that the tower was staffed by the Pennsy and the machine was maintained by the Big Four.

Worthington Tower with a Pennsylvania RR J1 headed north to Sandusky. The camera is pointed northeast. Photo by Alex Campbell, 1956.