Last Ride Photos

Home ← Railfanning ← Road Trip ← Last Ride to Pomeroy ← Robert Rieth Photos

Photos by Robert Rieth
From The Ron Jedlicka Collection

         We are fortunate that Robert Rieth, his wife Virginia and daughter rode that last trip to Pomeroy and took photos along the way. Judging from the photos December 31, 1949 was an overcast sometimes drizzly day. While snap-shot cameras of that time didn't always bring out the detail you might like these photos are a valuable time machine into the past.
         The sharp eyed observer will detect that there are a few photos included here that were taken on another day. We don't know the date of these photos but suspect they were close in time to the Rieth trip and also were taken by Bob Rieth.
         The Rieth family lived in Bexley. Bob worked at the Seagrave Company the builder of fire engines. He was an excellent mechanic who brought his talents to the Ohio Railway Museum in the 1950s where he was instrumental in keeping the Erie Railroad gas-electric 5012 running to power the Sunday afternoon trolley operations.

South Columbus

Click to enlarge

Photo 1 – The Rieth daughter in front of the train board at the C&O's South Columbus depot where the journey will begin.  Train No. 30 originated at Columbus Union Station.  The South Columbus depot was located on South High Street 4.3 train miles south of CUS.

In the 1950’s the woman's head scarf was very popular and not the least controversial.


Click to enlarge

Photo 2 – Virginia Rieth waiting for the train to Pomeroy on that damp December day in 1949.


Click to enlarge

Photo 3 – The train to Pomeroy and Athens is arriving.  The tracks visible on the far right are the Toledo & Ohio Central Railroad (NYC) and are also headed to southeastern Ohio.


Lancaster

Click to enlarge

Photo 4 – The stop at Lancaster.  No. 455 is a 4-6-2 Pacific.  This line mostly used the 4-6-0 until they wore out and were replaced by Pacifics in the last year of Train No. 30's operation.


Click to enlarge

Photo 5 – The Lancaster passenger station was built by the Hocking Valley Railway and also served a branch line of the Pennsylvania Railroad.  The PRR track was on the left side of trhe depot.  There was a separate freight house shown across the tracks on the right.  The telegraph office referred to as "Lancaster Target" was a quarter mile away where the HV and PRR crossed.


McArthur

Click to enlarge

Photo 6 – McArthur is south of Logan on the route to Pomeroy.


Click to enlarge

Photo 6A -The south end of the McArthur platform with the Route 50 overpass in the background.


Dundas

Click to enlarge

Photo 7 – Dundas is labeled McArthur Jct. on the map. The track crossing under the Pomeroy train belongs to the B&O.  This is an interesting example of combining the tower with the freight/passenger depot.


Click to enlarge

Photo 8 – Dundas looking south.  The interchange with the B&O is visible on the right.


Click to enlarge

Photo 9 – Dundas looking north.


Click to enlarge

Photo 10 – Another shot of Dundas looking north with a freight train on the right.  The track on the left was the stub end track for the Wellston & Jackson Belt Railway.  The signal is the distance signal for the B&O crossing.


Kerrs

Click to enlarge

Photo 11 - Kerrs Depot where it looks like the photo was taken from the rear of the train.


Gallipolis

Click to enlarge

Photo 12 – Gallipolis Depot looking south.  The Kanawha & Michigan Railway (NYC) had trackage rights over the HV between Gallipolis and Pomeroy.


Click to enlarge

Photo 13 – Another view of the Gallipolis Depot looking south.


Click to enlarge

Photo 14 – Gallipolis Depot looking north.


Click to enlarge

Photo 15 – Gallipolis Depot looking north.


Click to enlarge

Photo 16 – Gallipolis Depot looking north.


Cheshire

Click to enlarge

Photo 17 – The humble shelter at Cheshire.  Until 1939 there had been a depot building at Cheshire.


Pomeroy

Click to enlarge

Photo 18 – No. 130 arrives at Pomeroy.


Click to enlarge

Photo 19 – The locomotive is off getting serviced and turned around while No. 705 a 2-8-0 Consolidation handles the switching duties.


Click to enlarge

Photo 20 – A view of Main Street in Pomeroy with the Ohio River on the left.


Click to enlarge

Photo 21 – Train No. 137 is ready for departure to Logan where it will meet up with the Athens train for combining into train No. 37 for the return trip to Columbus.


Click to enlarge

Photo 22 - The business end of Train No. 137.


Click to enlarge

Photo 23 - The engineer and fireman on the last run.  They will run only as far as Logan where the Athens crew will continue the journey to Columbus.

Photo by Roger Humphrey

Click to enlarge

Photo 24 - The face of a handsome light Pacific.


Click to enlarge

Photo 25 - The C&O had a store front ticket office in Pomeroy in the last years of operation.  There had been a passenger station on the river side of the tracks in what is shown in these photos as a parking lot.


Another Day in Pomeroy

Click to enlarge

Photo 26 - Something is going to have to give here with the road locomotive in the way.


Click to enlarge

Photo 27 - A passing freight train.  There was still a mine operation on the upriver side of Pomeroy shipping coal in 1949.


Click to enlarge

Photo 28 - THe Hocking Valley, by 1949 the C&O, had a small freight yard and servicing area with a four stall engine house west of Pomeroy.  The remaining photos show train No. 137 passing through the yard on its return to Logan.


Click to enlarge

Photo 29 -


Click to enlarge

Photo 30 -