Hebron

Home ← Interurbans ← Columbus Newark & Zanesville Electric Railway ← Along The CN&Z RoW ← Hebron

Transfer to the Index  **

Hebron, Licking County, Ohio

1920 Population 415

         At Hebron the CN&Z leaves the National Road with the main line turning north toward Newark and a two-mile spur to Buckeye Lake heading south. There is a substantial depot and an interchange with the Toledo & Ohio Central’s Eastern Division. Just south of Hebron the CN&Z’s powerhouse is located.
         Interurbans running as a local would loop through Buckeye Lake, limited trains would bypass the two-mile line. There also was the possibility of multi car Columbus-Buckeye Lake excursion trains passing through Hebron in the summer season.

The CN&Z right-of-way on the westside of Hebron.   The track is located in the middle of the National Road.   After 1926 it was designated U.S. Route 40. The camera is looking east.

Photo from the Dale Dickey Collection, circa 1910

A shot taken further east on Main Street. The interurban station is on the left. The track curving to the left, in the lower left corner, goes to Newark.    The track curving to the right at the intersection is headed toward Buckeye Lake.

Photo from the Walt Stafa Collection, circa 1910

There are tracks on both sides of the station.    A freight house can be seen through the passenger canopy.

Photo from the Walt Stafa Collection, circa 1910

The east side of the depot with interurban No. 69.

Photo from the Licking County Genealogical Society Collection, circa 1910

The camera is looking west, back toward Columbus.   The women hanging on the hitching post are facing the CN&Z depot off camera to the right.   The track in the foreground goes left to Buckeye Lake and right  past the CN&Z depot and on to Newark.   The cross-bucks in the distance are for the T&OC crossing of Main Street.

Photo from the Dennis Lamont Collection, circa 1910

The CN&Z's powerhouse was located on the south side of Hebron.   The power house boilers were designed to burn either gas or coal.   When gas was unavailable coal was used.   A CN&Z freight motor would pick up the coal cars at the T&OC interchange in Hebron.

Photo from the Alex Campbell Collection, circa 1910

This is a view of the oposite side of the Hebron power house.   The postcard publisher removed the many electric lines that connected the powerhouse to the interurban network.   There would have been 600 volt DC for the trolley wire and high voltage AC for the substations located along the line.

Photo from the Alex Campbell Collection, circa 1910

The sleepy T&OC depot at Hebron. The interurban must have taken business from the steam railroad, especially passenger business,  when it came to Hebron in 1902.

Photo from the Mark Howell Collection, circa 1900

Transfer to the Index  **