Buckeye Lake

Home ← Interurbans ← Columbus Newark & Zanesville Electric Railway ← Along The CN&Z RoW ← Buckeye Lake

Transfer to the Index  **

Buckeye Lake, Licking County, Ohio

1920 Population - no records

         Buckeye Lake, originally named the Licking Summit Reservoir, was built between 1826-1830 as a feeder lake for the Ohio & Erie Canal. The Columbus Buckeye Lake & Newark Traction Co. built a two-mile spur from their main line in Hebron to Buckeye Lake in 1902.
         In order to increase their passenger business, the interurban line purchased 100 acres on the north shore of the lake and developed a park. There were hotels, restaurants, boat rentals, fishing and lots of space for kids to run around. As time went by an amusement park was developed with rides and other attractions.
         People could come from Columbus, Newark or Zanesville and spend a day or many days. The limited interurbans that only stopped at Columbus, Newark and Zanesville by passed Buckeye Lake. The local trains would make all station stops including Buckeye Lake. In addition, during the tourist season, excursion trains would run from Columbus to Buckeye Lake and Zanesville to Buckeye lake as shown in the panorama photo below.

Buckeye Lake (labeled Licking reservoir on the map) had three railroads the Toledo & Ohio Central on the west side, the Baltimore & Ohio on the east side and the Columbus Newark & Zanesville in the middle of the north side.

Map from the Columbus Metropolitan Library Collection, 1914.

In the early years the fledging interurban acquired an elevated car for use as a trailer  shown here at an early Buckeye Lake freight house.

Photo from the Alex Campbell Collection, circa 1905

Before the loop was built the line ended a short distance from the lake. There were boats available for visitors to enjoying the lake.

Photo from the Galen Gonser Collection, circa 1905

Another view of the interurban stop at Buckeye Lake. To the right of the interurban can be seen the open waiting room for interurban passengers.

Photo from the Galen Gonser Collection, circa 1905

The Bierburg family waiting for the interurban to Columbus.

Photo from the Galen Gonser Collection, circa 1910

         As the CN&Z’s Buckeye Lake Park was developed the single track from Hebron was upgraded to double track and a loop added at the Buckeye Lake terminal. A panorama photo was taken of the entire loop with three, two car interurban trains ready to serve the CN&Z passengers. Click here to view the panorama photo.

The left side of the panorama photo shows the track from Hebron and two of the two car trains ready to pick up passengers either to head west to Columbus or east to Newark and Zanesville. The track in the left foreground is the exit from the loop.

The second car in each two car train is a trailer (unpowered) capable of seating 72 park goers.

Photo from the Ohio History Connection Collection, circa 1910

The center of the loop where passengers were dropped off and picked up.

Photo from the Ohio History Connection Collection, circa 1910

A stub end siding is to the right. This was known as the "Fish Track" as fish were brought here to stock the lake.

Photo from the Ohio History Connection Collection, circa 1910

A work train spotted on the loop at Buckeye Lake.

Photo from the Galen Gonser Collection, circa 1910

Transfer to the Index  **