Roster-The Last Years

Home ← Streetcars ← Roster ← The Last Years 1925-1937

Columbus Streetcar Roster
The Ending Era - 1925-1937

        In 1925 the Columbus Railway Power & Light Co. purchased twenty-three, 60 passenger cars from the G.C. Kuhlman Car Co.  These cars were delivered as two man cars, but would soon be converted to one-man cars eliminating the conductors job. These would be the last new streetcars CRP&L would ever purchase.  After 1925 they would only purchase used streetcars.  In 1933 the Company began a 15 year modernization program that would replace all streetcar lines with trolley coaches and motor buses.  Used streetcars were added as absolutely necessary to replace older worn out 500-600 series streetcars, and to eliminate the two-man cars, until the modernization program was complete in 1948.

701-723 -  Twenty-three cars built by the G.C. Kuhlman Car Co. of Cleveland, Ohio in 1925.  These were the last new cars purchased by the CRP&L.  They were taken out of service October 10, 1948.  One car, 703, can be found at the Ohio Railway Museum.

Car numbers 724-750 were not assigned.

751-776 - Twenty-six cars built by the G.C. Kuhlman Car Co. in 1926 for the Huntington-Ashland Railway Division of the Ohio Valley Electric (Huntington, WV).  They were acquired by the CRP&L in 1935 and 1936.  They were taken out of service March 17, 1947.

Car numbers 777-800 were not assigned

801-820 - Twenty cars built by the J.G. Brill Co. in 1924 for the Trenton and Mercer County Traction.  Sold to the CRP&L in 1934.   They were taken out of service in 1947 and 1948.

Car numbers 821-850 were not assigned.

851-857 - Seven cars built by the J.G. Brill Co. in 1924 for the  Shamokin and Mt. Carmel (Pennsylvania) Transit Co.  They were acquired by the CRP&L September 17, 1936 and taken out of service October 18, 1948

Car numbers 858-870 were not assigned.

871-876 - Six double-end, light weight interurbans built by the St. Louis Car Co. in 1922 for the Wisconsin Public Service as 51-56.  Sold to the CRP&L in 1937.  They did not work out and were sold to the Virginia Electric & Power Co. in Norfolk VA, in 1940.

Car numbers 877-900 were not assigned.

901-915 - Fifteen cars built by the J.G. Brill Co. in 1925 for the Eastern Massachusetts Street Railway Co.  Sold to the CRP&L January 5, 1937. They were taken out of service April 11, 1947